Article 1. General Provisions
§5-101 DEFINITIONS. The words and phrases used in this Chapter, pertaining to motor vehicles and traffic regulations, shall be construed as defined in Chapter 60, Article 6 of the Revised Statutes of Nebraska, 1943, as now existing or hereafter amended. If not defined in the designated statutes, the word or phrase shall have its common meaning. (Ref 60-606 through 60-676 RS Neb.)
§5-102 STREET WEIGHT LIMIT; DESIGNATION OF TRUCK ROUTE. (1) Statement of Purpose. The City of Henderson finds that traffic from heavy vehicles causes substantial damage to City streets and results in the deterioration of said streets at great expense to City taxpayers. It is therefore necessary to restrict traffic from heavy vehicles to a designated truck route to reduce deterioration caused to City streets by such vehicles.
(2) Street Weight Limit. It shall be unlawful to operate upon any street or alley in the City of Henderson, Nebraska, any truck, truck-tractor, semi-trailer, or trailer or combination thereof having a gross weight of more than 20,000 pounds, other than as provided below, except that said vehicles may exceed said limitations if they are being used to deliver goods and/or items to and from residences and/or businesses in the City of Henderson, Nebraska.
(3) Truck Route. Vehicles exceeding the weight limit of 20,000 pounds prescribed by subsection (2) may only be operated upon the following streets and alleys within the City of Henderson. Nebraska:
(a) Oak Street from the west end of the City limits to the intersection of 17th Street;
(b) Front Street from the northwest corner of 12th Street to 17th Street;
(c) Cedar Street from the west side of 12th Street to 17th Street;
(d) The entire length of Main Street;
(5) The paved alleys on each side of Main Street in Blocks Six (6), Seven (7), Fourteen (14), and Fifteen (15);
(f) 14th Street from Cedar Street to Front Street;
(g) Elm Street from North Main Street to 14th Street;
(h) 12th Street from Cedar Street to Front Street;
(i) Birch Street from the west side of the alley in Block Fifteen (15) to the east side of the alley in Block Fourteen (14);
(j) Hickory Road from the east side of 11th Street to North Main; and
(k) Maple Street from the west edge of the City limits to North Main.
(4) It shall be unlawful to operate a vehicle upon any street, alley, or road within the City of Henderson that exceeds the weight limit set forth in subsection (2) above except on the truck routes designated above. It shall further be unlawful to operate a vehicle upon the truck route described in subsection (3) above that exceeds the total weight of 95,000 pounds. Any person operating a vehicle within the City of Henderson shall be required to accompany a law enforcement officer to a portable scale forthwith upon request by the officer for the purpose of weighing said vehicle. Any operator who refuses or fails to immediately accompany said officer upon being directed to do so shall be deemed to be in violation of this section and shall be punished as provided below.
(5) Penalty. Any person operating a vehicle in violation of this section shall be deemed guilty of an offense and upon conviction thereof shall be fined a sum not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100.00). (Ref 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-103 TRAFFIC LANE; DESIGNATION. The Governing Body may, by resolution, mark lanes for traffic on street pavements at such places as it may deem advisable. (Ref 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-104 ARTERIAL STREETS; DESIGNATION. The Governing Body may, by resolution, designate any street or portion thereof as an arterial street and shall provide for appropriate signs or markings when such street has been so designated. (Ref 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-105 TURNING “U” TURNS. No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction, except at street intersection. No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction at any intersection where an automatic signal is in operation, or where a sign is posted indicator that U-turns are prohibited. (Ref 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-106 CROSSWALKS. The Governing Body may, by resolution, establish and maintain, by appropriate device markers, or lines upon the street, crosswalks, at intersection where there is particular danger to pedestrians crossing the street, and at such other places as they may deem necessary (Ref 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-107 SIGNS, SIGNALS. The Governing Body may, by resolution, provide for the placing of stop signs, or other sign signals, standards, or mechanical devices in any street or all under the Municipality̓s jurisdiction for the purpose of regulating, or prohibiting traffic thereon. Such resolution shall describe the portion of the street or alley wherein traffic is to be regulated or prohibited; the regulation or prohibition; the location where such sign, signal, standard or mechanical device shall be placed; and the hours when such regulation or prohibition shall be effective. It shall be unlawful for any person fail, neglect, or refuse to comply with such regulation, or prohibition. (Ref. 60-6,119 through 60-6,121, 60-680 RS Neb.)
§5-107 ENGINE BRAKES; PROHIBITED. It shall be unlawful for any person to use engine brakes when operating any truck on 17th Street within the corporate limits of the City. (City Ordinance 319).